Saturday, April 26, 2008

Dateline Vegas, Baby

Las Vegas is a trip. You have to check it out at least once if you are ever over on the West coast of the U.S. It’s a Disneyland for adults. I am not a gambling fan but the pure spectacle of the place is fascinating. True, more than a few days in Vegas may drive you nuts.

For the uninitiated, each hotel has a theme that carries through all aspects of design, such as a Venetian theme, Paris theme, New York theme, Pirate theme, etc. That's supposed to be St. Marks Square in Venice up there.

And the place looks like China in terms of how much construction is going on. How the hell are they going to fill up all those buildings?

Lots of Europeans running around there too. All kinds of languages are heard. It’s pretty expensive but if you are spending Euros, you’re in luck.

You don’t have to gamble. There are all manners of ways they get your money. You can hang out at the pool and drink, go out to nightclubs and drink, go to very good restaurants and drink, shop and drink, go to Broadway quality shows and drink, and of course gamble and drink. I think you can see a common thread here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

De pequeño tenía interés por ir a ver Las Vegas pero ya de mayor CSI Las Vegas me las ha quitado :)

Carl said...

I'm afraid I've never seen CSI Las Vegas. Is it a bad show?

Vegas is only good for a visit, every once in a while.

EuroMadrid said...

Sr. Anonymous,
¡Qué pobre! No sabes lo que te estás perdiendo. Como se dicen, "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas." ;)

Anonymous said...

I have been to Vegas twice. The first time I was impressed for two days (I was in my early 20s from Germany).
The second time around I lost my interest.

It is OK for one or two days to gamble, sunbathe, and get free drinks all day.
But I prefer nature and ecotourism.
Actually, you could not pay me to go back to Las Vegas.

Carl said...

Well, If you haven't been there in the last 15 years, it is very different. It's more garish and nasty than ever! That in itself is worth seeing.