Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Spanish as Secret Weapon

I am the quintessential looking American white dude. So in L.A., no Latino suspects that I have a secret stealth weapon – understanding and speaking Spanish.

In Los Angeles, Spanish is everywhere. You really don’t need to speak English to get along. This makes it doubly difficult for Latino newcomers to buckle down and really learn English. Latinos also assume that there is no way that this white dude (Yo) could possibly speak Spanish, just look at him!

I can’t tell you the number of times I have spoken to someone in Spanish and they would just stare at me, dumfounded. This is not because my Spanish sucks. It’s because they were expecting English to come out of that white-boy face of mine. Their brains do not process the Spanish words. They hear the words but think it is some kind of weird language, “What the hell kind of English is that?” they ask themselves. We finally work it out after some more staring and after I ask them if they understand Spanish.

Honestly though, most of the time it is too much trouble to deal with this so I just remain in the role of the white dude that doesn’t speak Spanish. It’s easier to be what most people expect of me. Even in say, a Salvadoran restaurant, I might just order with “white-boy accent” because it just screws them up if I order in Spanish or if I say “horchata” the correct way., etc.

But the secret weapon does come in handy many, many times. I especially like to stand around while one guy translates for another guy then I just break in and answer the first guy directly. They get a kick out of that. Sometimes they say, “Watch out he speaks Spanish.”

The secret weapon is also great as an ice-breaker in social situations. With so many Spanish speaking people here, there is always something to talk about. Maybe it’s music from their particular country, their family story, and best of all, how the hell did I learn how to speak Spanish?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

That´s the question. How the hell did you learn how to speak Spanish, Carl?

Carl said...

I am the proud holder of a Minor degree in Spanish (big deal). And I spent one year at the Complutense a long time ago.

But I really learned the little I know at home in the Piso with my Spanish room mates.

leftbanker said...

I speak Greek and Arabic, quite well at one time although I never use either these days. This really gets some weird responses from native speakers. Greek people can't believe I'm not Greek and Arabs can't believe I'm not CIA.

I started learning Spanish a long time ago and spent some time in Peru in college and then took many trips to Mexico. It cracks me up how people here in Spain will actually correct me for saying something that is perfectly correct in Latin America. I have totally changed my accent to the lisping Castillian but I think it's hilarious that Spaniards have a hard time dealing with the fact that they are a linguistic minority in their own language (like Brits but they don't correct American accents). Jesus, someone could write a whole book on this subject.

Carl said...

I have had Brits correct me several times. They really didn't like me calling the "toilet" the "bathroom".

Anonymous said...

Great post! I actually have a problem with Spaniards answering me in English when I'm addressing them in Spanish. Drives me nuts, especially since 99% of the time my Spanish is better than their English.

Carl said...

Yes Bilingual, That really drives me nuts too. It's pretty rude - but I just switch to English and proceed to compliment their English, no matter how much it blows. They are just trying to impress.

In Los Angeles, If a Spanish Speaker speaks to me in English, not knowing that I speak Spanish, I always patiently listen and answer in English just because of this kind of experience in Madrid.

Anonymous said...

Another great post Carl!

I've only been to the US once (to New York), and the same happened to me, and I'm Spanish!

Most latinos in the US have never seen a Spaniard, they don't expect a white blue-eyed boy like me speak Spanish.

I think most of them had never heard the Castillian accent before and that's why they looked at me like they were hypnotized or something.

@leftbanber, I've never heard a Spaniard correcting a South American guy, never. I'm not saying it didn't happen to you, I just find it strange. Maybe it's because I live in a barrio here in MAdrid where the Spaniards are the minority and you can hear all the possible Spanish accents.

However, it could be possible that they just didn't understand some specific words you were using, too much Spanglish perhaps?

I don't think we have a hard time being a linguistic minority, we know our place in the world, but please don't use words like "checar"(meaning to check) or "ordenar" (meaning to order) in front of me because that's NOT Spanish. That's Tex-Mex Spanglish of the worst kind.

And for your info, leftbanker, it's even worse the other way around, I've been to Mexico a couple of times and I've been corrected all the time, they laugh at my "thetas" and try to convince me "vosotros" is obsolete. So, people are people, that's all.

Carl said...

Roberto,

What I want to know is how the hell you learned to write (and I presume speak) English so damn well if you have only been to New York once? England?

I would never guess you were not a native writer. You are making me jealous.

Anonymous said...

Well Carl, I learnt my English here in Spain, at school, private classes with the mother of a friend of mine who was English, and 4 years of Escuela Oficial de Idiomas.

As you can see, although I'm already in my -ehem- thirties, I was lucky enough to receive a good English education, and that wasn't common in Spain in those years.

I spent 3 months in England when I was sixteen, have spent some holidays in English-speaking countries, and that's all.

You should hear me!, speaking is MUCH more difficult than writing. I speak with a very thick Spanish accent I'm trying to get rid of, but I just don't have enough opportunities to practice.

Don't be so jelous, I'm pretty sure you're more fluent in Spanish than I am in English.

Midnight Golfer said...

@leftbanker: "Arabs can't believe I'm not CIA."

I just fell off my chair. jejeje.

I can totally relate to this whole topic.

I can also tell you that many times, especially among construction workers that are working on my jobsites, they despise you even more than if you just stuck to English.

Let me re-phrase: When I worked in the management of a construction company, there were many workers, all from different backgrounds and languages. As is to be expected, they don't exactly appreciate having their work inspected, and don't even bother hiding their disdain for having me (management) looking 'over their shoulder.'
Those who speak Spanish amongst themselves, have often not done a very good job of hiding what actually appears to be loathing, when they first meet me, and discover that I have understood everything they have said since I walked up on the jobsite.

Carl said...

Hi Midnight,

I'm also in a construction related business - so I know what jobsites are like.

These guys showing disdain worked for you? I'd fire their asses!