Friday, July 27, 2007

Madrid - L.A. Beckham


In celebrity news, we now have David Beckham in L.A. I'm afraid I'm a typical American in the sense that I don't know Jack Squat about Soccer. When I was in Madrid and Beckham arrived, I thought it was great that Madrid was getting a big star - it was good for my adopted town, but nothing more was stirred within.

Here in L.A., I am even less stirred because I don't really follow all the celebrity stuff. It is a odd being from Los Angeles when you travel around the world. When I am in Madrid, I hear so much about L.A. - the actors, the movies, music, TV shows filmed here, the distorted information. It is strange to see the place I know so well from a totally different, and often twisted perspective (kind of like reading biased European correspondents writing about the U.S.). From Madrid, L.A. looks exotic and unknown. But to me it's just home. Madrid is much more exotic.

Back to Beckham. I have to say that L.A. is a perfect town for him. What took him so long to come? The top "industry" echelons seem to be excited too. I guess because he is different. He's British, which is always a plus here with the accent and all (we think they are sophisticated if they have the accent - god help us), he's a sports guy and not an actor (all the Brit actors are already here) - but he photographs like an actor, so that's good. His wife is ridiculously thin with a fake rack - that fits. We speak English - so they have to like that, and it's really easy to spend a lot of money on expensive houses and cars. All perfect!

No comments: