Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Brit Bashing

I have to tell you that I kind of secretly enjoy hearing the Spanish talk crap about the British. You know, the typical stuff … that they are drunk, don’t want to learn Spanish, live in isolated expat enclaves, cook rotten food, etc., the whole nine yards.

Why? It’s not because I don’t like the Brits, I actually do. I think most Americans generally have a good opinion of the British. We feel that they are our sophisticated distant cousins or something. Of course they don’t feel the same way about us. To them, we are the rich and crass relatives they love to hate.

I like hearing the Spanish verbally bash Brits because that means they are concentrating on someone other than the Americans. I also have the chance to join in on the fun and be part of an "us vs. them" mentality for a short while, “Yeahh, the food is terrible! And how about those football thugs!” etc… But I don't really believe it.

Conversely, there are those Spanish people who are real Anglophiles, especially in regards to English pronunciation. Any word that is not spoken “British” is just plain wrong. They wouldn’t be caught dead saying "schedule" like “sked-jewel”, no, it has to be ”shed-jul”. To them, American pronunciation is the pinnacle of low-brow tastes and attitudes. I think that’s fine if that's what they want. I understand both languages, British and American, and couldn’t care less. There is one thing I am not too crazy about though … that's when the British try to correct MY English.

This has happened to me on several occasions in England and on British Airways. One time, I asked in perfectly acceptable American-Californian English, for some water. I said “Wah-der”. The lady responded, “You mean some Wah-ta?” Another time I asked for the bathroom and the Brit said, “ You mean the TOILET?” … Well, I was just going to wash my hands but if there is a toilet in there that’s okay too …

3 comments:

Scientific Hooliganism said...

Your posts are making my trip to Spain seem like it will be a exercise in people making fun of my accent. I'm Cuban, so I speak Spanish with a Cuban accent, and I speak English with a standard California American accent. Fuck.

Carl said...

No. It'll be great. They will think you are Cuban, so they'll love that. Then they will find out you are Californian, which will make you more exotic and they won't be able to do any standard "American Bashing" ... because you're Cuban, etc. It'll drive them crazy!

No, really, you'll have a great time. People are nice.

Anonymous said...

Soo hilarious! I am still lol..

I met an American exchange student in Denia. When she explained to an English lady that she was teaching English to her Spanish host mom (mum!). The British lady looked surprised and said "how? with your accent and all."

In Gandia, when people hear us speak English, they automatically assume we are British and totally ignore us. As soon as they hear we are from America, their attitude changes to a warm welcome and interest. So you see my American experience is not so bad.