Monday, November 19, 2007

Bag Your Own

Every Madrid grocery store I have ever been in makes you bag your own groceries. After you are done shopping and waiting in line, there is a frenetic rush on the part of the customer to unload his/her stuff on the counter, start fumbling for plastic bags, open them (they are all stuck together), start bagging your own groceries, get your money out to pay the checker, finish bagging your own stuff, and then try to get the hell out of there. All the while there is another customer right behind you pressing forward - willing you on.

They really need to catch a clue from the American model. In the U.S., you stand there very comfortably watching someone else do the bagging. You can, 1) look for more crap to buy in the checkout line, 2) make sure they are not overcharging you for something (maybe this is why they don’t have baggers in Spain), 3) get your damn money out so you can pay, and 4) just generally have a nicer, calm experience. Even the Corte Ingles ( the fancy store in Madrid) does not have baggers.

It really would be a win-win situation if they started hiring baggers. The line would move faster, the customer would feel special and important (another thing they have to work on in Spain), there would be more jobs for very grateful Spain dwellers, and …. the only other thing I have is - I say that they should have them.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a spoiled American, like me! There are many countries around the world provide no baggers. Do they make you pay for the plastic bags?? I have problem with paying for the plastic bag even if it is 25 or 50 cents. I rather stuff them into my coat.

Carl said...

What's up Anonymous?

As a "spoiled American" I sure am working all the time!

I think it is more about customer service. The store should be grateful to have me and do whatever they can to make me feel good.

And no, generally there is no charge for bags in the US, even paper bags. More and more people do bring their own cloth bags to the store though for environmental reasons. The store will fill your bags too.

Mother Theresa said...

If it keeps the pushy people behind you from trying to hurry you up, then I'm all for it. I really don't mind bagging my own groceries, but I hate people who hover behind me, actually bumping up against me while I'm trying to pay. At the supermarket we go to, the cashier sometimes bags the groceries too, but it depends on the person, mood, etc.

Carl said...

Yes Theresa, I think that is exactly what got me thinking about this. They can tell I am a hopeless amateur and they don't have any pity for me.

EuroMadrid said...

Yes, this is something I've wondered a lot about. It's just another example of how customer service is truly lacking in Spain. I find it laughable that El Corte Ingles is considered a premium supermarket when they don't bag your groceries for you. Part of the reason why the lines get backed up at Corte Ingles is because the cashier doesn't bag during checkout, making the entire process more inefficient.

Carl said...

El Corte Ingles really should do it - for the prices they charge!