Saturday, November 3, 2007

An American Invasion

Is this how some people feel about Halloween in Spain? I have to tell you that I guess I have mixed feelings about Halloween getting big in Europe. On the one hand, I like that an American tradition - yes really a tradition - is popular in Spain.

I'm the smallest one over there, a Pirate. My brother was the Hobo on the left. He was too cool for the picture even at 12 years old (circa 1967). Hey, it looks like my sister was a Gitana!

On the other hand I am wary of MY old Spain turning into California. Alright, I said it! I do like that Spain WAS different. Now, I am not sure if I will notice that I am in another country when I am walking around Madrid! Of course, that's an exaggeration.

It was inevitable though. Let's face it. Halloween is fun. Kids get to dress scary or silly and adults have a reason to act like kids - but with booze.

Teresa over at The Rain in Spain is doing her part to push Halloween on Spain. Her kids obviously like it. Hermann has a video on how Halloween is big in Berlin - complete with cheesy everything.

I very clearly remember when Christmas trees were non-existent in Madrid. I know I will see more trees and decorations this year – and more the year after that. Soon everyone will forget that a lot of these customs were made popular by Americans, or they will conveniently ignore the fact. It must be making some people mad though. Another nasty American habit imported. I wonder if the French have Halloween?

Anyway, just what they need in Spain, more holidays and more ways to party! I now envision a Spain with all their existing fiestas, puentes, historical and religious traditions, etc. - AND - Halloween, Xmas trees, Santa Claus..what next? 4th of July? Uh probably not...

2 comments:

Mother Theresa said...

Hi Carl, thanks for the link. There are a lot of people here with mixed feelings about the Halloween thing over here. On the one hand it's sad to see traditional celebrations replaced by foreign ones, but you can't really stop the changes from happening. I never intended to get Halloween started over here, but I guess puttting a pumpkin out was enough to start it. For the record, the next day my kids went to a nearby village to celebrate a local custom of singing under people's windows, asking them to throw chestnuts and candy. So, all is not lost, the two celebrations can coexist peacefully.

Carl said...

I think so too. There is nothing wrong with adding Halloween - it's fun.